Tuesday 12 June 2007

PC Jon Henry



It's now 24 hours since the fatal stabbing of PC Jonathan Henry in Luton. As tends to happen, a few more details are starting to emerge about the incident and about the man himself.

The incident was called in to Police at about 7.15am. So, at this time, Jon and his mates would have been sitting in a briefing, having a brew and chatting about the day ahead. Who had people coming back on bail, who had appointments elsewhere and what work was to be allocated to which officers.

There would have been laughs and jokes, and grumbles about how hard it is getting up on earlies.

Somebody would have been having the p*ss taken out of them for something they did the day before, and they'd have come back with "Ah, but remember that you you managed to lock yourself in that woman's toilet!"

And then the weighty issue of what the squad was going to do for breakfast.

Basically, a team of Police officers getting ready for the day ahead and, tragically, you can imagine them talking about their plans for the evening. Within half an hour one of their number would be dead.

Jon left behind a wife, Mary, and a baby daughter, Maggie, who isn't yet one year old. I've never met them, nor had I met Jon or his team, but I hope that in some small way their grief is helped by the knowledge that they are in the thoughts of so many of us.

It's because of Mary and Maggie that I want to be careful about how I word the rest of this post; to make sure that it isn't disrespectful to Jon's memory. I think it's wrong to use the death of a Police officer to try and make a political point.

But it's the thought of all the Police widows, widowers and orphans that makes me feel like this should be written.

For some time now the majority of frontline Police officers have called for us to receive better protection, both from the judicial system and in terms of the equipment which is issued to us.

Firstly, there needs to be mandatory "life without the hope of parole" sentences for those that murder (and I mean "commit murder" as in this case) Police officers in the line of their duty. The murder of a Police officer was one of the last offences for which a person could be hanged. And, although occasionally a Police officer was shot or stabbed, there was some sort of deterrant there. A person going to commit an armed robbery could think, "if the Police come and I'm cornered, I can either do 10 years for the robbery or hang if I kill the copper". And they would, normally, choose to give themselves up or at the very least not resort to using their guns.

Nowadays, there's no difference between killing a public servant in the course of their duty and killing your neighbour because you've fallen out. I'm not saying the life of the Police officer is worth more, but the fact that they are on duty serving the public should be reflected in sentencing.



It took years for the Police to be issued with a decent baton in this country, and how they wailed and cried in Westminster and in Middle England when they were issued. The same debate happened, to a lesser extent, with the advent of quickcuffs.

When the idea of CS incapacitant spray being issued to every officer was mentioned, you'd have thought that "CS" was actually some sort of machine gun! Still, after an unbelievable amount of drama, it was issued. And today no officer would consider going out on the beat without these three appointments.

The call for Taser is growing. I've heard that at least one force has already bought enough to issue to all frontline officers and are just waiting for the nod from the Home Office (or whatever it's called this week). I wasn't present at the incident yesterday, so my knowledge is limited. But I believe that the murderer was arrested with the assistance of Taser. I can't help wondering if Jon would still be alive today if he had been issued with it himself.

People, I'm thinking about Amnesty amongst others, will tell you how dangerous they are.

Jon Henry's friends and family will tell you how dangerous knives are.

How can I be expected to protect the public effectively without being given the means to do so. I have to be able to protect myself in order to protect others. I too, like Jon, have a family. I'm sure that every Police officer, past and present, who saw the news yesterday had the same thought, "there but for the grace of God..."

Finally, have a look at National Police Memorial . Soon, Jon's name will be recorded here, alongside those other officers who have given their lives in the service of the public.

It's because of this huge list of names and, selfishly and I suppose cowardly, because I don't want to join the list, that I believe it's time for all of us to put pressure on the Government to roll out Taser to all frontline officers.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its not selfish or cowardly to want to stay alive mate.

But I do wonder how we still put up with the risks we do, and continue to do so, almost without thought. I am often scared for my own personal safety, often more than once during a shift- and I know I am not alone.

But we keep going, with little support from anyone, except our fellow officers. We're not supermen and women, kung-fu experts or made of steel, and we have to defend our every action in every violent situation we are in. There are easier ways to make a living- but that's not why we do it.

My thoughts are with Jonathan Henrys' family and friends at this tragic time. God Bless them.

PC South West said...

This as all such cases give me mixed emotions, sadness turning to anger.
It is about time we were given the protection we deserve. We confront aggression every day and should at least be able to protect ourselves and those we are sworn to protect.
It’s not amnesty that are going to be leaving a young family, and if taser is dangerous then maybe people will think twice before they take a knife to a police officer.

Twining says: said...

My friend, it is about time to petition the Government. Amnesty can say what they like, but let's face it, it appears both gun and knife crime are on the increase. Have amnesty anything to say about that? They don't have to attend incidents where mentally ill peple go berserk or where doped up people are violent. And my feeling is violent crime will go upwards as new and old minorities clash. I might write about this next week.

Unknown said...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with not wishing to have your life taken in the line of duty, love. It certainly doesn't make you a coward or selfish. It makes you human. It is definately time to put pressure on the government. I agree with you on that. Perhaps there will be a big outcry and they will sit up and pay attention. Or maybe that is hopeing too much....

Carlito86 said...

Cannot say anything other than that I agree with everything you said, and what the others on here say. X

Anonymous said...

jesus, it brings it home to you when you go into detail about what the officers were doing and then the next thing is that one of them has been murdered.
RIP Jon Henry and the rest of you take care.
john

Minty said...

Nothing selfish about not wanting to die. You may never stop being a Police Officer, even when off duty, but you are human first and then a Police Officer. You have an absolute right to be protected.
Every Police Officer that dies in the line of duty is a tragedy- a human who has lost his live in the assistance of others. A human that will be mourned by family & friends long after the platitudes are no longer being uttered by senior officers. Long after the media have moved onto the next story.
We may not want to think of the friendly British Bobby as armed, but it's needed. How many years ago was it that Body armour and CS gas being standard issue would have seemed unpalatable? Not that many I’m sure. Now we don't bat an eyelid.
Sadly, we live in an increasingly violent society, and we have to equip our Police to protect themselves and us

Anonymous said...

I agree. It's not selfish or cowardly at all, it's only human. Police should be issued with taser, simple as that. It's crazy enough that UK officers don't carry firearms unless they're in armed division, so basically if someone's going to shoot you there's not much you can do about it.

It's so sad about PC Jon Henry. I couldn't believe it when I heard the news yesterday, another police officer killed in the line of duty. It wasn't so long ago that PC Gray was shot whilst protecting his unarmed colleagues. To have another officer killed so soon afterwards has really hit hard. Like nearly everyone else, I didn't even know PC Henry but that didn't stop me spending half of yesterday in floods of tears. I can only imagine what his wife must be going through right now, and even though his little girl Maggie is so young she must realise something very wrong has happened, and of course she'll never know her dad now. It's so, so sad. I hope whoever killed Jon is locked up and the key thrown away. There should be no option of parole.

My thoughts go out to his family, friends and colleagues.

Thank you to everyone who so selflessly risks their lives almost every day in protecting the public, and that includes you. Thank you for the job you do and keep the blog.

Butters x

Anonymous said...

I second what girl with the golden touch said. I've left a few comments on other blogs & it is tragic, especially the fact he has left such a young daughter behind. Thoughts are with his family, friends & colleagues. May PC Jonathan Henry rest in peace.

This government so very badly needs to sit up, find their balls & take notice. How many more times does this have to happen? It simply is not good enough & it sickens me.
Excellent blog Wee Man

Anonymous said...

Oh, & not wanting to join that list by no means makes you cowardly, your human & nobody want's to lose their life. As for cowardly, I don't think you can call any police officer who does their duty cowardly. xx

The Thin Blue Line said...

Huge apologies to "Thoughts Running Through My Head" and "Old Man". In my infinate stupidity, I pressed the wrong button and deleted rather than published your comments.
Basically, TRTMH was reiterating what's already been said, particularly the fact that this happened so soon into a shift.
Old Man was stating that the British Police need to be better armed, with "proper" firearms. That's a whole different debate, but perhaps the fact that I can't even use a computer properly suggests I can't be trusted with a shotgun and sidearm?
That said, thanks guys for your comments and apologies again!

Anonymous said...

Talking of infinate stupidity, I missed out the word "up" at the end of my comment, so it now reads "keep the blog" ha ha I couldn't stop laughing when I noticed that, it looks like I'm saying you can keep the blog!! Sorry about that. =D

Anonymous said...

May I try again then?

While only accepting that firearms are a slightly different part of the same debate (and it IS the same debate: officer safety and operational efficiency) and without being too simplistic: from experience I can say that Taser is not the Holy Grail you may think it is; Taser is not nearly as operationally flexible and effective as a firearm can be.

The fact that Home Office is now agreeing to issue Taser more widely should not be seen as a victory, it is merely a tactic to stop you being properly armed and equipped.

When on duty, you need to be routinely armed with a decent calibre (9mm) semiautomatic, and preferably have immediate team access to something like a pump-action Remington shotgun, in order to properly protect yourselves against knife (and other weapon) carrying scum in this country.

Yes, you will need training (and psychological preparation and regular assessment and testing) to be safely competent to carry and use firearms, but as someone who has spent some three decades in an armed Force, I can say that these are not insurmountable barriers; nor is current public opinion.

Better to be properly prepared now than to be rushed later.

You should also, of course, be given adequate personal issue bullet-and-knife resistant personal armour: notwithstanding what your leaders and the Federation representatives might say, there is some very good stuff on the market ("Second Chance" is my personal favourite) and it is relatively cheap compared with a life (about GBP500 retail). For reasons of Health and Safety, you should not be fobbed off with anything of a lesser quality.


Best wishes

Old Man

P.S. The fact that you cannot yet use a computer has no relevance to your being trusted to carry arms or not; if one can't be trusted then one shouldn't be in the Job, simple as that – but that was not an assessment that I was making, nor do I make it now.

The Thin Blue Line said...

Thanks Old Man.
personally, I wouldn't be comfortable carrying a firearm (although I was in the Army) but that's got more to do with the way those who use deadly force, regardless of how justified it is, go through Hell afterwards due to the way such things are investigated here.

Anonymous said...

It's not just lives that might be saved if you had taser. It could mean the difference between a "Yes, officer, of course I'll come quietly" arrest and an "Up yours matey" arrest. WHY are you having to wait for this?

thoughts running through my head.... said...

flippin eck-that was a deep and meaningful post from me too-I was basically saying how PC Henrys death has touched me in a way that other police deaths havent,its the ordinariness (sp?)of the days start that got to me more than anything.


re:tasers,Id gladly use one,they are less harmful than using a baton anyway and easier to use if you dont have great strength behind you.


That was my post in a nutshell!

Anonymous said...

Half the fucking pig morons on the National Police Memorial site toped them self because they could not drive in a strait line.

Not thats a bad thing. as any pig is more use too the public dead.

The Thin Blue Line said...

Again, I chose to leave this comment on the blog to demonstrate what it is we're dealing with here. Other than somebody who struggles to string a sentence together. (Have a look on the yougov website. There's some very reasonable and accessable English courses).

Whether you like it or not, and I'm going to guess this is going to chaffe on your nerves a bit, the Police officers on the memorial died in order to help people. People, sometimes, just like you.

Anonymous said...

Don't you log IP addresses?

That way we could at least see roughly where Anonymous was coming from.