Thursday 7 June 2007

Strip Search

One of the parts of my job I dislike the most is strip searching people. And until Keira Knightly or Eva Longoria decide to come to Mytown and start stealing, then insisting on dealing with me alone then that's unlikely to change.

There's a couple of reasons why, when in Police custody, you might end up being strip searched.

If you've been arrested for being in possession of drugs, or if you're a known, current drug user then it's pants off. This is to make sure you don't have any more hidden away that you can overdose on whilst in your cell. Because then we'll lose our jobs. Oh, and we don't want anything bad to happen to you.

If you're known to be suicidal then, again, you may well be strip searched. This is to make sure you can't self-harm whilst in your cell. Because then we'll lose our jobs. Oh, and we don't want anything bad to happen to you.

And then, if you're known to carry weapons or if the offence you've been brought in for is weapons related then, again, you'll have me or Female Me staring at your bits shortly afterwards.

I also saw one person get strip searched after repeatedly telling the Custody Sergeant to "f**k off!", though I'm not sure whether that was the reason for the search.

Anyway, you go in front of the Custody Sgt who directs the officers to conduct a strip search. You'll then be taken to a cell with at least two officers. They will ask (which means tell, but we're polite) you to remove the top half of your clothing which will then, in turn, be searched. You'll then have to pop your hands on your heads so that they can see you haven't got anything squirrelled away in your arm pits. If you've got particularly long arm pit hair, they'll have to give it a little rummage through to make sure there's nothing in there.

You'll then put your top half clothing back on (or the Police issue paper top if we're keeping your clothes) and you'll have to remove the lower half of your clothing. And, yes, this does include your underwear. I've strip searched some people, who have been in exactly the same position dozens of times, and try to swear blind that last time they didn't have to take their shreddies off. Well, you do. And if you refuse I'll have to come over and do it for you. Which will involve me touching you whilst you're naked. And I really don't want to do that.

You'll then have to show the soles of your feet and squat down to make sure there's nothing hidden where the Sun don't shine. Anyway, you then put your clothes back on and that's it. It doesn't take very long, but it's not very pleasant for any of us.

Apart from the vagrants. These people seem to revel in getting a bit of air to their boy bits. They'll stand there in the cell and swing "it" about looking like they're in the middle of a country stroll.

And they smell like something has crawled up their arse and died. As do their holey underpants, which I have to turn inside out to make sure there's nothing hidden in there. I am able to sit here and swear, on oath if necessary, that skid marks come not just in brown but in a variety of different colours. And textures.

The drug users are often covered in pus filled absesses, particularly around the groin where they "deep vein" because their other veins have collapsed. Their clothes stick to the sores and pull off any fresh scabs they've got.

And I've heard all sorts of unpleasant stories from female colleagues about them having strip searched female prisoners who are on their period but who haven't, er, fully taken care of their feminine hygeine. It's for this reason we keep a store of sanitary towels in the custody block.

Sometimes, of course, even a strip search doesn't find everything. Heroin users, particularly, are very adept at hiding some fairly large, sometimes sharp objects up their bums. One bloke, knowing that he was going to get nicked, managed to get heroin, citric acid, spoon and cigarette lighter up there. That's when you know that, perhaps, your addiction has got to an unmanageable state.

So, that's my bit done for the recruitment department. Should bring the applications flocking in. When they suggested a "warts and all" look at Policing, maybe they didn't have the hairy wart on some wino's backside in mind though?

11 comments:

McNoddy said...

You forgot to mention the even less delightful poopwatch!

You know, the one when you pray they don't need a number 2, 'cos you'll be the unlucky so and so who has to sieve through the doings to find the stash.

Is that really in my contract?

Major Look said...

Many thanks for that. I start my Police Training in three weeks time. I am glad I didn't read about the strip searches until it was too late ;-)

Thanks for your 'warts and all' accounts - it is much appreciated.

dickiebo said...

The wife has just put my breakfast in front of me. No thanks.
Sod you!

thoughts running through my head.... said...

when I was at training school,this was one of the things I most dreaded,especially as one of the pcs in my class who had been a special told me I 'd have to put my hand up *there* and search,I'm still not sure if he was having me on or if he came from a backwater that hadnt moved with the times,I dont care too much now but then theres not usually many female prisoners that come my way thankfully -I hate dealing with women they really are the worst,the most violent,the most foul!


What made you think of this TBL?!

The Thin Blue Line said...

Dickiebo, sorry about that! Breakfast is on me next time.

TRTMY, I had a particularly unpleasant strip search the other night. Homeless, heroin addict and non-compliant. Oh how I scrubbed my hands!

Major, don't worry about it. You're starting a great job. It's just that some bits of it are, er, less great than others.

Noddy, I've never had to do the pooh sifting thing. And I'll be quite happy if I never have to. Ever.

TotallyUn-Pc said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm home sweat home.

Have I ever mentioned I don't do custody anymore?

Minty said...

Still not put me off the job...... Only just mind.

Anonymous said...

Well, cheers for that!! I must say you've ever so slightly put me off joining the police force! :S Nah...not really, it'd take a bit more than that (luckily for you!!) :D That was absolutely disgusting! I can't believe you really have to do that, I don't remember ever hearing that was part of the job description!?! It doesn't happen often does it? Please tell me it doesn't!!

I just voted for your blog again by the way. It wouldn't let me vote twice on the same computer, so I voted on the laptop instead :D Well, that's gratitude for you...I vote your blog as 'the best' twice, and you promptly post up THAT!! Ewwwww...!

(this is where you need the oracle smilies!!) Haha.

No, seriously though, that was a good post. There's no point in making something appear glamourous when it isn't. Even if you did, I'd only find out it's anything but glamourous in the end anyway. So I might as well know now eh? :D

The Thin Blue Line said...

Thanks Butters. I suppose it's best to know what you're walking into in advance.
Strip searches happen relatively often. In fact, female colleagues get narked off because if a bloke nicks a woman they're always being asked to come down to the cell block to lend a hand with searches.
They're not very often as bad as I've made out though. That said, it does happen...

Dark Side said...

Ok, ok, thanks for that, whilst I was trying to digest a cheese and ham toastie....can I have a warning next time? lol...xxx

David Sanders said...

Hi - I'm in the process of compiling a book of true police stories and was hoping to include this post; no problem if you'd prefer me not to.

More info on the booker here: http://policeshortstories.blogspot.com/

All the best
David