Saturday 9 June 2007

Why The Police Need Creative Writing Courses

NCRS, which stands for the National Crime Recording Standards, means, basically, that if somebody reports a crime then it gets recorded as such.

In theory that sounds all right. We're all intelligent people and we know that that space in the corner of the room should have a DVD player in it. Therefore, it has been stolen! Elementary.

However, an unfortunate by-product of NCRS is the fact that we have to take on face value all sorts of spurious reports from some people who are mad, lying deluded or a combination of the three.

"Right, so it was martians who stole your garden gnome? Here's your crime number." Well, it's not quite got to that point yet, but we're not far off.

When I was a lad, I would often get into fights at school. It wouldn't really matter what it was over. Whose ball it was, whose football team you wanted to be on at break, whose dad was hardest and whether your dad really was Mr T. Whatever, at some point during lunch break I'd probably end up having a scrap.

I used to tell me dad when I got home, but soon realised that this lead to me getting a clip around the ear and a telling off. The one thing he didn't do was phone the Old Bill. If he had though, I'm sure some bobby would have come round and, er, given me a clip round the ear probably.

However, if my dad was to phone the Police now the bobby attending would bring with him a hundred weight of paperwork to complete and I'd be video interviewed. Because I'm a victim. Of course, they'd then go and see the other lad (or girl if I'd been properly beaten up) and of course they'd be a victim too. Bottom line, we're both as bad as each other so we can both have juvenile reprimands.

When I first joined the job, which isn't actually that long ago, I went to a reported shoplifter. Turns out it was a 11 or 12 year old girl nicking sweets. She'd never been in trouble before. The shopkeeper knew her and her mum (in fact, he'd already called her) and just wanted her to get a telling off.

So I did. I waited for mum to turn up then I told the girl off until she started crying (otherwise you can't be sure they're actually listening) and then, er, well we all went home. Mum was happy that her daughter wasn't going to Cell Block H and that she'd learnt her lesson, shopkeeper was happy that he could go back to, well, shopkeeping and I got to go back out and look for some proper criminals. I can't remember if I found any. Probably not. But the point is I was out there looking. Nowadays I'd be hauled over the coals for dereliction of duty.

Now I'd have to spend hours on the job; appropriate adults, interviews, solicitors, statements, file preparation....

Because of this, every copper who's been in for a little while (anything over about six minutes) quickly learns the art of "batting" or "cuffing".

In essence, this is a Bad Thing. It means, if I'm honest, getting rid of a job rather than dealing with it "properly". However, "properly" isn't necessarily the best way for all concerned. So some jobs genuinely deserve to get "batted".

If I go to a 11 year old shoplifter tomorrow, in exactly the same circumstances, I can either get the golden "detection" to help off set our unsolved burglaries, in which case I'll get little else done all day, or I can try and introduce a bit of common sense into procedings.

First time around, I could have given a result like, "shopkeeper doesn't want to make a complaint, mum's taken daughter away, no crime". And that's it. Finished. And this was fine with the bosses.

Today's copper has to be much more inventive with the the wording. So, I've found the following phrases of great use...

"There is sufficient doubt to suggest that a crime has not been committed".
"This was not an assault, rather a case of school yard japes". One of my favourites. I actually used this one. And it worked!
"It is impossible to tell whether this is new or old damage".
"A heated arguement rather than an assault".
"No possibility of successful prosecution".
"Not in the public interest to continue".
"A disproportionate use of Police resources".
"The suspect has stated that he made a genuine mistake and has paid the money owed".
"The witness was unable to provide any description".
"There is evidence that the item may actually be simply lost or misplaced".
"A minor neighbour dispute that doesn't amount to harassment".
"Things said in the heat of the moment but not meant".
"An unfortunate, unforeseen set of circumstances which could not have been avoided".

I'm not giving away any secrets. It's only what their solicitors tell them to say, and if we investigate a crime we're looking at all sorts of other things like CCTV, witnesses etc. And that's the point. Police officers like arresting crooks. If we think there's half a chance of locking somebody up who deserves it, we'll be there like a rat up a drainpipe.

It's just that some jobs really neither need nor deserve Police input.

Caller: "My neighbour keeps harassing me by cutting his lawn on Sundays when he knows I like to watch Coronation Street".
Result: "A minor neighbour dispute that doesn't amount to harassment".

See how it works? So, if the government insist in making us nothing more than crime recorders, the least they can do is send us all on a course so that we can do it with a bit of flair!

10 comments:

PC South West said...

Don't start me off on this one, I am sick to the back teeth of crime recording and the home office auditors with their ludicrous standards.
On the point of the child shoplifter, this is a total joke.
Adult scum bag who has managed to avoid being caught for nicking for a year or so can have a PND and on his way. Same with a lippy 16 year old if parent is available.
But sobbing 12 year old who made a one off error has to be arrested because s/he is too young for a PND.
As I understand it we do not chase unpaid PND's anyway, but don't tell anyone for god's sake or noone will pay them.
All the government care about is detections to make them look good. Never mind about justice or paying the fine.
And on top of all that when we charge someone or any kind of disposal of a crime come to that, we have to jump through numerous hoops to prove the detection. Like you say we have to be inventive with our wording. And then using our latest computerised crime recording software, spend ages typing what was said in interview and entering tape numbers, completing pages of home office required fields.
I always say if they dont want to count it then I don't give a stuff.

Anonymous said...

I phoned the police last night to report a guy who started being abusive towards me for no reason at a garage, and then tried to get me to smash into the back of his car by slamming his brakes on further down the road. I tried to phone 999, because it scared me so much (it was about 11.30pm and I was driving alone) but there was no reply! So I reported it to the local police. Do you think it will go anywhere?

Anonymous said...

I think they've just found the teacher for said course. Brilliant! Again :o)

thoughts running through my head.... said...

so,so true!I have had to deal with crime reports whilst I was injured and off the mean streets,its so wrong-someone loses their phone or leaves their bag somewhere and doesnt get it back(techinally a crime) then it gets recorded as a crime!Lots of the time you know they are lying but unless you spend the time to investigate you cant actually prove it,and you cant say to them 'I know you're lying you lost it!'I have come very close to saying that though.Its amazing how many people suddenly find their property when they have to answer a few questions about how the crime occured!

Anonymous said...

NCRS says that "If, on the balance of probability, a crime has been commited then a crime shall be recorded."

Therefore if you have one person saying a crime has happened, a crime is recorded. If you have another saying it didn't and nothing else to substantiate (injuries, missing DVD player etc) then no crime is recorded.

Result I often use is "On balance of probabilities, no offences."

Minty said...

You must be more imaginative than me!
I'm not a Police Officer, but i do investigate criminal offences, and then submit the files for prosecution/the solicitor to dream up a list of pointless additional work for me to do and/or ask daft questions.
When sending a file suggesting that it's too petty to bother with/ the offender is nuts I like to quote the CPS (god love em) own Code for Crown Prosecutors.
Not very imaginative i know, but the good old CPS have gone to the trouble of making a list of reasons not to do anything.
Not had one argued with yet.....

Twining says: said...

Oi you all, I am supposed to be an expert on NCRS.

In the cold light of day, after investigation, it would appear that, on a balance, of probability, according to Noddy, I am Pee Pee, (Pink Panther) and that is no crime.

The thin blue line are you going to link to me like please?

Twining says: said...

Thin blue line - Are you anything like the Inspector in the programme? I picked up these ideas from a local paper, then I just went into Pink Panther mode.

I began to get sarcastic! I could not help myself. So much money is wasted on this poster and that campaign, etc. that these partnerships forget one thing, "sworn officer's."

I have been reading your blog and am rather impressed. I guess I say it as I see it, doesn't mean I am liked much by management; hated more like. As for management I think we are all good managers, at least we tell the truth hey.

Thanks for the link and kep adding. I am not a left wing looney! Just Black in Blue, or rather tanned in Blue.

Sergeant Simon said...

Hmmm. There does generally seem to be an proportional link between how astonishingly useless a job is, and the amount of paperwork that would be required should it be done with the official way.

Sad thing is, I've seen people get disciplined for not doing a crime report for such nonsensical things. I do think indeed we should have these "how to result jobs properly" courses.

Its all good political training I think.... how to answer a question in such a way that it sounds impressive and comprehensive but actually completely fails to answer the original quesstion.

Anonymous said...

My regular write offs include such gems as:
1) A school assault has taken place, but under the multi agency protocol relating to school incidents 2006, the school is dealing. Parents and school happy - no crime.
2) The item has not been stolen from the person but simply lost. Lost report submitted.
3) The text messages were not harrassing but mearly a nuisence. Caller has been advised to change phone number.
4) The caller believes the threats to be veiled threats and does not believe they will be carried out.
5) The damage was caused accidently and there was no intent or recklessness.
or my favourite:
6) The caller is lying. Witnesses state this never occured. Caller has been advised / given PND for wasting police time.

all jobs worth doing are worth doing well, and if they are not worth doing they should be binned as quickly as possible in order to give time for the 'proper' jobs to be done well.