Friday 1 June 2007

Quotas


I was speaking with a probationer on my team last night about how he feels he's getting on. Basically, he was quite happy overall but worried about a comment that his tutor made during his last review.

Whilst they were going through his work, the tutor raised a concern that the probationer wasn't giving out enough tickets. This isn't the first time that this has happened. The last time, the other officer concerned went out and dished out a dozen or so seatbelt tickets. I suggested that his tutor had spent a little bit too long staring at white boards and not long enough dealing with members of public.


Now, this is quite a difficult subject to broach.


On the one hand, if somebody is using their mobile or haven't worn their seatbelt, then they know they're in the wrong. They can't really argue if they get a ticket.


But personally, I like to make a distinction between the types of people I deal with, and this will have an effect on who does and doesn't drive off with a fine.


I think my job is to make things a difficult as possible for the bad people, so that the good people can go about their lives as safely and unhindered by crime as possible. Likewise, I don't think I'm here to alienate decent people who've made a minor mistake and who, otherwise, are probably more law abiding than most of the politicians who write legislation.


If I stop Mr Joe C Decent, who has never been in trouble before, goes about his life not causing bother for anyone and just wants to get on with things, then they're probably going to get a bit of a mild ticking off. And as long as I think they're actually listening to me then that'll be the end of matters. (Not always. See "The Attitude Test").


However, if I stop Billy D Burglar for not wearing a seatbelt, and if they are still getting up to no good, then that person is almost certainly going to get a ticket. My thinking being, "If today I can't arrest you for stealing DVD players, then at the very least I can give you this".


It's only a ticket, I know, but at least it feels like I'm chipping away at a criminal's activity. And anyway, they won't have insurance so eventually they'll be disqualified from driving which helps disrupt them even more. (On a side issue, I got into trouble once. Whilst giving out a producer, I asked one burglar "Where do you want to fail to provide?" He didn't see the funny side and put in a complaint. Never mind.)


I think that sometimes we're a bit too quick to forget that we sometimes make mistakes and commit some of the more minor offences. I know plenty of coppers with points on their licences. It doesn't make them bad Police officers, but it does remind us that we're all only human. We can all have an off day and I don't think it should always cost us money or points on our licence.


We're in danger of alienating a huge proportion of the public on whose support we rely. And the other officer, whilst doing what his tutor said and dishing out tickets left, right and centre, helped perpetuate that. Like I've said, if all twelve recipients were active criminals then I wouldn't have a problem. After all, I reckon we've already lost their support given that we keep locking them up.


So, my own policy (definately not the Force's) is that if you're a criminal and I stop your car, then you're going to end up with a bit of paper to show for it. Otherwise, as long as you at least give the impression that you're paying attention, you'll be OK.


That said, the other day I stopped one abnoxious rich fella who definately was paying attention. In fact, whilst paying attention he sneered, "I could pay your wages with what I make in one day". So, he should be able to afford the fine then, eh?

2 comments:

thoughts running through my head.... said...

thats so true TBL,the training is so 'PC' that PC's are scared to do what you need to do,and the training these days (I am guessing you have been in a while)is so soft and gentle with no rough and tumble,and in my force no public order anymore,its no wonder probies (I'm so pleased I can say that now!!;-) )dont know what to do for the best.Sometimes the best bet is to grab hold of someone as its the only way to handle the situation,isnt it?

The Thin Blue Line said...

So true. Talking to somebody, sometimes, only goes so far. And I prefer chatting once they're not armed to the teeth and looking for someone to hurt.
And it is nice to be able to say "probie" now. We'll have to think of a term for student officer..."studie??"