Monday 28 May 2007

The Attitude Test

Does not exist. There is no such thing. Official!

Right, hopefully Professional Standards have got bored and stopped reading now.

Of course there's such a thing as an attitude test. It might not be something that we do consciously, but we're only humans after all. So it follows that everybody, regardless of their job, is also susceptible to it.

If you work in a bank and a customer comes in shouting the odds at you, being aggressive and abusive, then let's face it you're not going to bend over backwards for him. It's human nature that you're going to get defensive and get him chucked out.

We're the same. If we stop a car because the driver isn't wearing a seat belt, then the quickest way for them to guarantee getting a ticket is to get all unpleasant with us. And, conversly, the best way to try and get away with just a ticking off is to be a bit nice. That's not to say I expect people to kiss my ass and treat me like God. Just an acknowledgement that they're in the wrong and a civil, polite, "I won't do it again officer, sorry" is probably going to save you £60 if it's me who stops you.

The reason I mention this is my best mate got a complaint the other day. He'd stopped somebody driving down a service road. Very minor offence. Now my mate (and you'll have to take my word here) is the sort who prefers catching proper villains to dishing out tickets for minor traffic offences. He walked up to the driver's window and gave a cheery "hello". The driver's response was, "What!? I'm off to pick up my daughter. I haven't got time for this rubbish! You lot are just tax collectors. This is highway robbery and you haven't got any right to stop me!" Etc etc, and so it went on. And the guy got a ticket.

When he made the complaint, he admitted the offence but said that my mate was out of order for asking him to get out of his car and for then refusing to get in the guy's car with him.

For some reason, and I genuinely struggle to understand why, there's a lot of people who think it's perfectly OK to speak to us like we're dirt. In a way that they'd never stand to be spoken to by anyone else. You'd have thought that the fact they were speaking to a Police officer might engender a little bit of respect. But no: "I pay your wages". "You're a public servant". I've heard them all before.

A report was published recently stating that in our Force the number of official complaints against Police regarding "attitude" and "civility" has rocketed. It's funny really, because I've had a few of these myself. And on every single occasion the person making the complaint has been really abusive towards me during the incident.

Well, I've decided enough is enough. I deal with enough nasty jobs and people to help keep the public safe. I don't get paid to be spoken to the way my chum was. So I reckon the way forward is to spread a bit of love. Try and cheer the angry people up a bit. From now on, whenever anybody tells me "I pay your wages!" they're gonna get a huge hug and I'll start delivering thank you cards to their house every day. Maybe flowers on Sunday?

And if they tell me "You're a public servant!" I'll turn up at their house at 3am on a Sunday morning and ask if there's any light dusting they need doing. I might even wear a little apron.

And if they tell me I'm just a tax collector, they can expect a visit every other day reminding them that "self assessment needn't hurt, get your tax returns in on time".

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about marriage guidance? You're there to sort the marital arguments & provide a bit of counselling. Social worker/nanny is another, I mean, you're there to help raise their children & babysit them when the reponsible parents feel like a drink or 20, as you say, they pay your wages so the least you can do is a bit of Friday/Saturday night babysitting. Oh, hang on.......

Brett Jordan said...

I really couldn't agree with you more, and I'm sure you have to suffer a LOT of rubbish in your job.

However, on the occasion where I spent a very unpleasant fifteen minutes being baited by a couple of young officers who were booking me because my front tyre was JUST touching a yellow line... i was in the middle of a very nasty divorce, i had just dropped the kids off to their mum's, i was tired, i was fed up, i was hungry, and i just wanted to get some food...

my mum always told me to be polite to police officers... i respect the job police officers do... i wasn't disputing i was wrong, i wasn't disputing getting a ticket, i kept saying sorry, i kept admitting i was stupid, i kept asking them for the ticket so i could be on my way... but they kept goading me until they realised i wasn't going to stop being polite

that was over ten years ago... and i know they aren't representative of most people in the police force... believe, me, as a young motorcyclist, i've been shown a LOT of grace by the police... but whereas the police can at least deal with a rude 'offender' with a fine... i just had to go home feeling confused and abused...

ok... i've said it... i feel better now

love the blog by the way... glad we live in a country where you're allowed to write the things you do

The Thin Blue Line said...

Ha ha. There's a really cool post on http://200weeks.police999.com/

It's the voicemail message we all wish we could have at the station and says more about the job than my blog ever could!!!

The Thin Blue Line said...

Hiya Brett, thanks for the comment.
To be fair, there are times when we're either having a bad day and don't give a good account of ourselves or there's the odd copper who's a complete arse!
If it helps (and it won't) you can guarantee all their colleagues will share your view.
I'm glad we come out OK overall though.
Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

One of our Control Room Operators came up with a great response to the "I pay your wages" comment.

It was the normal drunken friday night "I've been assaulted by the bouncers" call. Having been informed that the Police were a bit busy and if he wanted to make a complaint to turn up at the station in the morning...
'customer' - I pay your wages.
Operator - Do you work
'customer' - No
Operator - Then I pay your benefits. Stop wasting our time and go home.
'customer' - Why, per chance you may be correct. Forgive my foolish ways.

Or it may have been a torrent of abuse!!!

It may not be the official line. We are told to create incidents so Officers can waste time chasing people who can't remember where they were let alone what happened. I can't remember a single time when the caller actually turned up in the morning. A small victory for common sense.

thoughts running through my head.... said...

nice one operator!!!

You forgot the 'I'm a tax payer you know',cos everyone knows police dont have to pay taxes,dont they?or the old classic 'why arent you out catching burglars?'.*yawn!*

Anonymous said...

I also respect the police, and can't imagine ever speaking to them in any other way than polite.

But it did annoy me ever so slightly when I was stopped by them for speeding once. I was speeding (42mph in a 40 zone) and didn't realise the police had seen me until I was parking at Tesco. I pulled into the space and realised I wasn't straight, so I was just about to correct it when I looked behind me and saw a police car had blocked me in. So I had to leave the car the way it was, and when the cop got out of her car, she commented on the bad parking!! I had to grin and bear it, and gracefully accept the Section 59 warning too. Not a good day! :(

Dark Side said...

If I had known I could get a man in uniform out of it and do my cleaning at the same time I would make the public servant jibe everytime...x

Excellent post by the way..

The Thin Blue Line said...

Emma, ha ha. You know where I am!!!
Thanks for the comment. x

Anonymous said...

Brilliant posting (and I enjoyed reading the comments as well) ;)

I can't believe some people actually throw those kind of remarks at police officers. It makes me mad just thinking about it >:( Does it hurt to show the police some respect? Nope. Some people are such a waste of space.

Btw, very funny disclaimer you've got ;) I must say you're pretty brave, a lot of police officers wouldn't have the nerve to say half the things you do on here ;)

The Thin Blue Line said...

Thanks Butters'

Brave, stupid. There's a very thin line!

Anonymous said...

It is tragic how little respect many people have for the police these days. I reckon they think your fair game and that it's okay to abuse you cause they won't get much punishment in return.

Love your blog, by the way. You sound like a pretty cool guy.