Monday 28 May 2007

Health And Safety

I went on a Health And Safety course the other week, specifically tailored for Policing.


Now, I didn't have particularly high hopes to start with, but when the person giving the training kicks off with the question, "What risk assessments did you carry out on your way in to work today?", you know you're in for a long day. (Apparently, the chap "continually risk assesses his environment, starting with making sure the dog isn't asleep next to the bed so he doesn't trip over it. This bloke IS his job.)


Still, I persevered and managed to pay attention to most of it. And I'm happy to report it's too dangerous for me to leave the station. And to stay in the station. I suggested staying in bed, but that's too dangerous as well.


This country has gone crazy for Health and Safety, and the man from the H&SE with his clipboard now holds more sway than any Chief Constable. It's one thing keeping a weather eye out for trailing electrical wires and signs that say "Danger, Asbestos! If you come in here you will die soon!"


But practically everything I do involves some sort of risk.


I put this to him: "What about the incredibly violent chap who'd really rather not be arrested?"
His answer? "Well, under those circumstances you should have enough officers present to minimise the risk before you arrest him. About five or six."
Me (chuckling): "What if there's only three officers on duty?"
Him (annoyed): "Well you have to risk assess!"
Me (starting to enjoy myself): "OK, I've assessed it. We haven't enough officers. Now what?"
Him (smiling now): "Ah, well then you withdraw."
Me (admittedly a bit smug): "But then wouldn't I be neglecting my duty? What if it was you he'd just assaulted? You'd want him arresting wouldn't you?"
Him (looking for something to throw at me before realising that'd be "dangerous") "Right, moving on....."

You see, Health and Safety is difficult to implement if your job is, by definition, not very healthy. Or safe.


Broken sleeping patterns due to shift work. DANGEROUS!
Running through gardens chasing thieves. DANGEROUS! (but really good fun!)
Going into a put to arrest somebody for a serious assault. DANGEROUS!
Driving quickly to a burglar on premises. DANGEROUS!
Entering a house during a domestic incident. DANGEROUS!
Having somebody wave a knife at you because "They're coming!" DANGEROUS.


If you ask The Man With The Clipboard everything is dangerous. Their lives must be bloody dull! But anyway, in the spirit of reconcilliation, I've decided to do my bit to meet them halfway and I've designed a new Police uniform.


I don't know if it'll catch on. And one or two of my colleagues might not be pleased. But the chap from the HSE is going to love it.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a muppet! He sounds like my boss, who, when I'm ordered to be a good little receptionist & go & get the tea's, swings the door open that im pushing open with my backside without warning causing me to nearly fall on my bum & burn my face off with hot tea/coffee. Nice argument with Mr Dangerous too, don't think you were his favourite pupil somehow! lol

thoughts running through my head.... said...

hahaha!!love it!!the Micelin man looks like those angry man suits!!

Anonymous said...

I work in a care home and have to risk assess everything too. Even before giving a resident a cup of tea (which I do about 50 times a day!) I have to carry out a mental risk assessment. "Will I trip up? Is the tea too hot? Is the cup too heavy? Is the resident sitting at a 90 degree angle?" It annoys me so much!!

Brett Jordan said...

Actually, that Michelin man looks scarily like one of our local coppers :-)

Anonymous said...

Haha. Once again, hilarious ;) Not sure I like the looks of the new uniform though...;) wouldn't it be a bit difficult to move? Ah but mind you, I suppose that's the whole purpose, isn't it? If you can't move then you can't be a danger to yourself :P

I expect breathing will be hazardous next ;)

Beattie said...

Good grief.
We have an accident register at work. And we now also have a 'Near Miss' register. God knows what we're supposed to put on that. Does an uncapped biro class as a near miss?

The Thin Blue Line said...

Uncapped biros, sharp printer paper, pointy rulers.

The modern Police Service is a dangerous place! Thanks for the comments.

Anonymous said...

"If we ever have another war the first bomb would have to be droped on our own HSE HQ"