Friday 11 May 2007

The PC PC

We've all seen over the last few years how political correctness has crept (or should that be swept, tsunami-like) into society. I often find myself in situations where I'm not sure what to say, but luckily I know there's a whole list of things I definately can't say.

So even if I'm being really ineffective I know that I'm definately not going to upset any visible minority ethnic, same sex partnership, non-indigenous, trans-gender, travelling fraternity different faith people. And I know this because I keep being sent on Diversity courses and learning how to get in touch with the fact that I'm a Nazi, facist, sexist......and so on.

You see, the (one of many) problem with political correctness is that it's had so many negative knock-on effects that I'm sure the well-meaning, middle class, hand-wringing Guardian readers didn't foresee. Or at least they were too busy drafting the Human Rights Act to notice.

The government brought in a piece of legislation fairly recently, an ammendment to the Road Traffic Act. This ammendment, to Section 165, meant that if Police found a car being used on a road and the driver was either uninsured or didn't have a driving licence we could seize the vehicle and get it off the road. Great idea, safer for everyone else and makes us feel a little bit better about paying our insurance. The seizure needs the authority of an Inspector, but this is fairly straight forward. They just want to make sure that the bobby who's stopped the car has asked a few simple questions of the driver.

However, the other day an officer had stopped a car and the driver of it admitted that he wasn't insured. The officer asked the duty Inspector for authorisation and then started filling out the paperwork safe in the knowledge that the authorisation wouldn't be far behind.

And then the Inspector denied the authority. Because he felt that it would be against the drivers human rights to have his vehicle seized. The officer, in carrying out his lawful duties, was infringing this blokes right not to have the State interfere with his day to day business. Now, the fact is the Inspector was wrong (which happens a lot more than would be helpful). The bobby just asked another Inspector whose head was slightly less up his own arse and got the authorisation.

But it's just an example of how the Human Rights and Politically Correct brigade have caused a culture where too many of us are concentrating on covering our arses rather than getting the job done. Instead of thinking "how do I best lock up this scumbag?" (ah, there's another word I'm not allowed to use) Police officers are thinking "how do I best avoid being complained about and potentially losing my job?"

And who knows? Maybe they're right and I'm wrong. It wouldn't be the first time. But what I do know is that, when I'm tucked up in bed I want a Police Force out there protecting me who aren't constantly worrying about losing their pensions and who are thinking "I want to send thieving scumbags to prison".

1 comment:

thoughts running through my head.... said...

so true,the thing I learnt first was 'how to cover my arse!',thats all you need to know sometimes.