Tuesday 8 May 2007

Shift Lag

I'm writing this roughly six hours before I'm due to start an early turn shift because I'm wide awake with no prospect of seeing the inside of my eyelids for hours yet. That's why I've been messing about with the layout and colours of the blog. Oh, and I've put my mum's favourite piccy of my on there. (I'll leave it to you to decide if I'm joking or not.)

Anyway, got me thinking about "shift lag". It's kind of like jet lag, but you don't get a sun tan and a man with latex gloves doesn't rummage through your luggage.

Seriously, working shifts totally changes the meaning of words like "weekend". This week, my "weekend" is Thursday and most of Friday at which point I'm back on nights.

I made the schoolboy error of having a kip this afternoon because I was feeling a bit tired. And the bit of a kip stretched out for four hours. So now I'm wide awake and thinking about going for a bit of a stroll. At bloody half past midnight!

I'll finish nights on Monday morning and have to force myself out of bed at about lunch time, otherwise I won't sleep Monday night. Which means for most of Monday I'll either be asleep or annoying my chums by being irratable to the point that they wish I was asleep.

And that's another thing: "lunch time". Because we find ourselves working at "Oh My God" o'clock we eat totally inappropriate meals at totally inappropriate times. Microwaved lasagne at 4am. Coco Pops at 7pm. That sort of thing.

Actually, I remember I used to have microwaved porridge on nights. One particular shift I was absolutely starving come about 3am because we'd been so busy. The microwave had just gone "ping" and I'd had my first mouthful when a shout came in. Two males assaulting a third who was lying on the floor.

Now, this member of public needed our help, so there was no chance of me not going. But my stomach thought my throat had been cut! Nothing else for it but to jump in with someone else and try to find my mouth with my spoon whilst sat on the back seat of the area car as it's doing 60mph. In fact, I must've been hungry because I didn't spill any.

Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah, shift lag. Because I'm awake now, and I'm probably only going to get a few hours kip, I know that at about 10 or 11am later on it's going to hit me like a cricket bat in the chops. And that's probably about the time the member of public comes into the station wanting to make a complaint about how another copper was rude to them. After five minutes with a sleep deprived me they're either going to think that rudeness is endemic in the Police or that I'm being somehow ironic by trying to out-rude the other officer.

4 comments:

maneatingcheesesandwich said...

Oh, how we yearn for the return of the Good Old Days. Six earlies, three days off, six nights, one late (quick change), two days off, four lates (50% chance of quick change to earlies on Sunday), one night, two lates (including quick change) three days off. Body clock in total disarry, but we loved it dearly.

My favourite week ever was a one off -
Weds. Nights 2200-0600.
Thurs. Lates 1400-2200.
Fri. Earlies 0600-1400.
Went to pub, drank beer, slept, woke up, ate food, slept again.
Sat. Nights 2200-0600.
Sun. Lates 1400-2200.
Mon. Earlies 0600-1400.
Went home, not to pub. Too tired.
Tues. Days 0900-1700. Crown Court. Surprisingly eloquent performance in the box under defence cross-examination - marred by falling asleep in the cheap seats whilst waiting for my colleague to finish giving his evidence. No Judge's Commendation.....

Currently working days, with the odd foray into earlies and lates. Grateful for the break.

Anonymous said...

Great Blog!!! Just read it from start to latest entry,

Found it on Police Oracle and linked here, I regularly journey the police-blogosphere and this is by far one of the best written, factual and entertaining i have read...

Keep up the great work and great writing!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Re your comment on my blog, you managed to say in one comment the point I tried to make in the whole post! That nobody deserves to be raped or asks for it but a little bit of responsibility & being able to take the basic precautions would help an awful lot I think. A really good comment, thanks :o)

The Thin Blue Line said...

thanks gnd. your post was a really good one though, really well reasoned.
it was a difficult subject to broach and you did it really well.